Friday, March 27, 2009

I am BACK!!

I have given my blog much thought lately, whether to continue doing it, what should it be etc. I know it is stupid to give it that much thought but nonetheless I have. This last week I have had times where I thought I would explode from stress, and then I have wonderful friends and family who seem to be so in tune (btw how do you do that?) and know just when I need a pick me up. So to you guys, you know who you are THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Be it chocolate (yummy) or flowers (beeeeauuuutiful) or just a sweet comment on the blog you guys ROCK!! So I have been thinking that my blog needs to be more random. I laugh (or at least try to laugh) a lot during the day so I am going to try to post some of the things that make me smile and hopefully they will do the same for you. I also realized that I love comments so I am going to post questions of the week and hopefully I will get comments (it makes me feel special) I also am currently trying to do many projects so I am going to try doing show n tell because again it makes me feel special! So I will try this first question today.

I think many people are trying to get back to basics in many ways, some of you who I know have always been there but I think with the economy (that really bites at the moment) people are trying to get back to the basics for example,
I am now making bread for my family, I know a mormon that can't make bread its a wonder I have made it this long!! We are also planting a garden for the first time, is it wonder I haven't been kicked out of RS!! I am also learning to sew! (maybe I should have spoken with someone before I confessed I don't know how to do any of these things. So here is the question:


What are you doing if anything to help with the current state of the union and your family where are you finding ways of cutting corners that you haven't before? I want to know because I need all the help I can get and you are some of the smartest people I know! COMMENT AWAY!! (I mean it!!)

***Pretty soon I will be posting a slide show of my cakes over here ----->>>>>
so look for it and if anyone you know needs a wedding or birthday cake throw me a bone if you wouldn't mind THANKS, CHEERS and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Ok. Here's one of my favorite money-saving secrets. Shopping smarts and Pinching your Pennies. Here's the link, I love how much I save on groceries!!! http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/GroceryLists.php

Oh, and BTW, I've never planted a 'food' garden, I just learned how to make bread, and I can only sew for crafts (patterns scare me too much)

Natalie said...

I am impressed! I can't make bread and my rhodes rolls only turn out good about half of the time. As far as sewing I am giving that a go but I haven't really made anything that even remotely looks complicated so best of luck and don't count on me for help with that one! Cakes, thats awesome! I am about ready to give up on baking all together! Since we moved in none of my baking has turned out so I couldn't fathom trying to decorate. Looking forward to the cake slide show!

Thayne6 said...

We are trying a garden this year. I loved our garden in Syracuse. This isn't something new, but we don't have tv service at our house. It's been almost 4 years now. The kids watch movies and we watch shows on the internet. We pay $9 a month for Netflix. Also, we are trying this phone thing called the magic jack. It's $40 a year--you can call anywhere in the US. It is working out so far. Anyways, you do make the best cakes. I'll keep you in mind if I know anyone who needs one!!! Have a super Friday!!
--Jamie

Heidi said...

Ha! I love that you think your the only one who doesn't make bread! HAVE YOU EVEN LOOKED AT ME!! I Scream "bad cook" from all outward appearances! I can't sew unless in a straight line. I can't craft unless I steal someone elses idea. And as far as the economy...I hear ya girl. Construction blows when its slow and ROCKS when its not. There is no in between. My solution??? I sent Chris back to school for a back up plan for the future and I went back as well for my masters. Doesn't seem right though,huh? Spending money to make money... Thank goodness for IHC scholarships. You are good at all of the above! So embrace what you have and be proud! I know I'm proud of you. (ps I know how you feel- comments make me feel special too!)

Anonymous said...

We eat alot of the same thing. For example. We eat white rice and pour cream of chicken soup over the top. You can by big bags of rice and save alot because you get more use out of it. Also, we just recently did a HUGE deep clean to get rid of things that we don't need(and donated it to DI for people who do) and reorganized it so we know where everything is. Also, double check food storage to make sure that everything is sealed and closed up tight. We found a whole in a few things and now have to replace it. That would not be a good thing to find out in an emergency. :-D

The Morgan Clan said...

Oh Shannon, if they kick you out of Relief Society, I'll be right there with you. I don't make bread, except when my Mom invites me over to "help" her make bread. I really just go to help because I leave with a couple of loaves for my family. I also don't sew AT ALL! I don't even own a sewing machine. As for gardening, we've tried and alway fail. Wow, I'm not a very good mormon mom am I??

We are trying a garden again this year... we'll see.

We are not eating out anymore and that has saved a lot of money, I'm also really sticking to a budget. I hate it, but it's really working. I just have to stay away from all temptation shopping.
ps..I love your blog!

The Fowler's said...

I can't make rice if that makes you feel better. I have tried different brands, followed the instructions to the letter and it sucks EVERY time. Seriously. You make very good rice :) I'm so excited you're doing a garden. It is so satisfying. Something that works for me is to buy the actual plant instead of seed. I know it costs more (and that's the point of your blog) but I have more success that way. I figure it's better in the long run if I spend a little more on starter plants that I can keep growing or I can waste my money on seeds that I kill. Good Luck!!

The Redmond Family said...

Seems like whenever I do something to save money (sewing, gardening, coupon clipping etc.) I end up actually spending more money. Go figure! But, I still do all those things, not because I am good at any of them, but because I like to do them. I would probably save more money if I quit trying so hard!

Pezlady Jana said...

I think you are amazing for making your own bread! Even I don't do that! I just buy it, which doesn't help the point of your question. Oops! I currently do the coupon thing. I think it is saving us money. Mike hasn't told me yet that it isn't and he usually is alllllll over telling me how much $$$ I am spending so let's take it as a good sign. :]